torsdag 25. mars 2010

Jazkamer - Musica Non Grata





I originally planned to do a review of the whole 2010 monthly releases series by Jazkamer, but after hearing the difference between all the three first releases I figured it would've been too much to write about, at least for now. I decided to go with the february release this time and why would that be? Well, I have a good experience listening to Jazkamer. I've heard almost all their released music so far and they are probably the band I've seen live the most, and after hearing their classic Sound Of Music, I didn't think they stood a chance making a new release that I would like better, but they proved me wrong! Not just is it my new favorite Jazkamer release, but I'm pretty sure it's among top 5 noise releases overall for me as well, and probably the only one not being classic harsh noise. Here it is feedback and not much more, but it never gets too much. Exhausting, yes, but never does it make you wanna turn it off. It's pure bliss! I didn't even get to play it at a good volume because I played it at night and wouldn't wanna wake anyone up, but damn, it blew me away.

What you get here is not the common feedback noise we've heard so many times before, but a very well produced composition where feedback is used more as a tool than an effect. It's extremely variated, but at the same time drony with a feeling of ambience to it. Not at all ambient, but space like. Not sci-fi space, but a feeling that makes your head float around the room and try to pick up everything that's happening. It may be because I was quite tired the first time I heard it I experienced it this way, but I would compare the feeling with the exploration of the album in the same way I experienced the film 2001: A Space Oddyssey (again not the sci-fi part of it). It's a simple idea, but it's so well done. I can't really explain it. Take a listen and judge for yourself.

Sound clip on youtube

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar